Prof. Jimmy FUNG and Prof. Alexis LAU
- Our research group has comprehensive expertise in the full range of atmospheric models at different spatial scales, including weather prediction model WRF, air-quality model CMAQ, diagnostic model CALMET, and street-canyon traffic dispersion. Utilizing such models, recently we established a real-time air quality forecast system which helps the Hong Kong Observatory for daily visibility forecast to general public.
- In June 2013, Prof. J.C.H. Fung was invited to the Panel on Environmental Affairs of LegCo as an air quality modeling specialist to give his expert opinion on how should the Environmental Protect Department of Hong Kong use air quality models for environmental impact assessment.
- In October 2012, Prof. A.K.H. Lau was invited by the Environment Bureau to help organize an expert workshop to brief senior government officials about air quality issues.
- In collaboration with the School of Public Health and Primary Care of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Prof. A.K.H. Lau helped the Environmental Protection Department develop a new Air Quality Health Index (AQHI). This new index will replace the existing Air Pollution Index (API) starting January 2015.
- Weather and air quality are of course major drivers of environmental concerns around the world. ENVR jointed hand with the US National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) to host the bi-annual 5-day training workshop on Weather Research Forecasting Modeling. About 30 scientists joined this workshop.