Calvin Lee KWAN
Ph.D.(2011), Environmental Science and Engineering, University of California at Los Angeles
Adjunct Associate Professor, Division of Environment and Sustainability
Office: Room 4412 (Lift 17/18)
Dr. Calvin Lee Kwan has over 15 years of expertise in developing and implementing sustainability strategies covering legal, environmental, financial, social and risk management themes across a variety of industries including oil and gas, automotive, academia and real estate.
Currently Director of Sustainability and Risk Governance at Link Asset Management Limited, Dr. Kwan is responsible for developing and executing the Group’s long term sustainability strategy and oversees progress by implementing a dynamic, decentralized risk management system. Under his “Business as Mutual” approach, Link has become a recognized leader in sustainable finance and climate action with the latest initiative to achieve Net Zero by 2035.
As co-chair of Principles of Responsible Investment’s Real Estate Advisory Group, Dr. Kwan steers cross-industry efforts on enhancing climate resilience while ensuring APAC-specific issues and implementation challenges are on the Group’s radar.
Dr. Kwan earned a Doctorate in Environmental Science and Engineering from the University of California, Los Angeles, an EMBA from Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern and HKUST and lastly, a Juris Doctorate from The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Sustainable development challenges in business, influences of environmental policies on business strategy.
Dr. Kwan’s research explores the relationship between sustainable development and corporate performance. He uses quantitative and qualitative methods to assess the impact of sustainable development challenges on business development, and investigates how environmental policies influence business strategy, performance and adoption of sustainable practices and in turn, how businesses can help shape sustainability policies.
- Lo, KY, Kwan, CL. Market response to environmental, social, governance and sustainability initiatives undertaken by listed companies in Hong Kong, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management [in review].
- Kwan, CL, Influence of local environmental, social, economic and political variables on the spatial distribution of residential solar PV arrays across the United States, Energy Policy, Volume 47, August 2012, Pages 332-344.
- Kwan, CL, Kwan, TJ. The financials of constructing a solar PV for net-zero energy operations on college campuses. Utilities Policy, Volume 19, Issue 4, December 2011, Pages 226-234.
- Chan, CF, Chu SM, Cheng, MW, Kwan, CL. Green Initiatives for Construction Site – Tree Recycling Program”, Conference Proceedings. The 9th Annual Seminar on “Smart & Green Building – Design, Construction & Management. Hong Kong, 2010.
- Kwan, CL. The Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region: A major role in China's renewable energy future. Utilities Policy, Volume 18, Issue 1, March 2010, Pages 46-52.
Books and Book Chapters
- Kwan, CL, Hoffmann, A. The Los Angeles Community College District: Establishing a net zero energy campus, Sustainable Communities Design Handbook: Green Engineering, Architecture and Technology, Elsevier Press, 2010
- Kwan, CL. Rizhao: China’s green beacon for sustainable Chinese cities, Sustainable Communities, Springer Press, 2009